Apr 11, 2011

What is and What Should Never Be

That sound you hear is John Lennon
rolling over in his grave
I echo all the crap my esteemed colleague Blaken Cheeseburger said below. Though, I'd like to make my own claim... a pair of claims, actually. It's not just our professions, but our love of the medium as an art form that makes us qualified. Plus, we're pretty smart. And we own this here blog what you're reading now.

Secondly, it's my opinion that we're currently going through a TV renaissance of sorts. Who wouldn't want to start a venture like this in the midst of such a high point? Rolling Stone did it, and aside from their latest cover, they're doing pretty well. That being said... seriously, Rolling Stone? Snooki? Did Amy Winehouse have an appointment at the VD clinic or are you just filling your yearly goblin quota?

On to the "highly unoriginal questionnaire format:"

What are your favorite genres?
What a great "highly unoriginal" question! My favorite TV genre would have to be drama, though I find myself watching more "sitcom" style shows. I can't say that I like sitcoms as a genre due to the overwhelming number of terrible sitcoms currently on TV (Mike and Molly, Big Bang Theory, Outsourced, Shit My Dad Says, Rules of Engagement, e.t.c.) but, when done correctly, sitcoms can be incredible. Good and bad examples exist for most every other genre and I calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

What are your favorite shows on TV right now?
I'm way better than Blake at choosing images. (NBC)


























 1. Community (NBC)
 2. Archer (FX)
 3. Leverage (TNT)
 4. Wipeout (ABC)
 5. The Glades (FX)
 6. Walking Dead (AMC)
 7. Castle (ABC)
 8. Storage Wars (A&E)
 9. Parks and Rec (NBC)
10. How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
11. Burn Notice (USA)
12. Psych (USA)
13. Glee (FOX)

Note: Community, Archer, and Leverage are tied for first. I don't know if Walking Dead is appropriate since it won't be back on for what seems like a year. Glee is at the bottom of the list because I loved the first season but was pretty lukewarm (at best) on this most recent season... I may stop watching it when it returns if they haven't gotten their act together.


The best show of all time is...
Bullwinkle Studios
... The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. Period. There's never been a funnier show on television. People acted so astounded when Shrek was in theaters... as if Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy invented creating a children's movie that is just as funny to adults. Rocky and Bullwinkle were doing it (better) in 1959. Not only did you have Rocket J. Squirrel, Bullwinkle J. Moose, Boris, Natasha, and Fearless Leader, but you also got to see Dudley Do Right, Mr. Peabody and Sherman, various Fractured Fairy Tales, and more. It, in my mind, is one of the very few perfect TV shows ever broadcast (another being All in the Family).

Anything else you would like to tell the people?
Well, I greatly enjoyed this questionnaire format and wish there were more questions for me to answer. Such as... worst TV shows ever[1]? Oh, the paragraph I could write. Perhaps we'll get to that another time.


-Jeramy


(P.S. - I'm going to actively try to cut down on the cursing in this blog at my partner's request, though I refuse to censor bad words as they appear in quotes or titles.)


1. For the record, the worst TV show ever would have to be COPS. Not because it's a bad show (it's actually a very good show), but because it showed executives that you could make a ton of money with very little effort if only you'd put terrible people on TV... a system I like to call the "Trainwreck Syndrome". COPS was the only show to do it right... these terrible people were getting arrested. Now they're being lauded as pop culture icons and being showered with undeserved money. COPS is the worst show ever in the same way Hitler's mom was the worst mother ever.

1 comment: